Associate Executive Director, Clinical Operations
Northwell Health Hospice Care Network
Northwell Health Hospice Care Network, is a well-respected, Joint Commission accredited, not-for-profit Hospice program servicing Nassau, Queens and Suffolk Counties.
- Master’s degree in Nursing, required.
- Current license to practice as a Registered Professional Nurse in New York State.
- Minimum ten (10) years’ experience in hospice or home care nursing including experience as a senior administrator / manager.
- Experience and knowledge of The Joint Commission standards, federal, state and local health care laws and regulations.
- Budgetary and financial experience.
- High level of administrative ability in the areas of planning, organization, coordination, supervision and personnel motivation.
- Able to organize and make oral presentations to various size groups.
- Knowledge, ability and understanding of the dying and death process in relationship to patient and family.
- Ability to work nonjudgmentally with patients and families of many cultural, religious and socio-economic backgrounds and various life styles.
Responsible for the supervision, coordination, and evaluation of all clinical services provided by hospice across multiple settings: residential, community, and inpatient.
- Oversees the referral / admission process and delivery of all clinical services to ensure the services are appropriate and consistent with the standards of care promulgated by The Joint Commission standards, state and federal regulations, as well as the philosophy of Hospice Care Network.
- In conjunction with the Director of Quality & Regulatory Compliance, reviews existing and develops revisions to policies, procedures, and standards on an ongoing basis to ensure consistency with Joint Commission standards and NYS Department of Health and federal regulations.
- In conjunction with the Director of Quality & Regulatory Compliance, oversees the planning and scheduling of in-services to educate staff about revision to policies, procedures and standards.
- In conjunction with the Director of Quality & Regulatory Compliance, implements and directs quality improvement activities utilizing the findings to identify and resolve quality related problems.
- Reviews ongoing patient care reports to identify areas for performance improvement / ensure quality improvement.
- In coordination with appropriate staff, develops and implements methods to assure quality performance.
- In conjunction with Director of Admissions, analyzes admission statistics to ensure patients are admitted appropriately and the process is efficient and responsive to patient / family and referral source needs.
- Attends and participates in the agency’s Quality Assurance/Performance Improvement Committee, agency task force meetings, etc., addressing quality improvement and performance.
- Oversees the investigation and responds to patient / family complaints in a timely manner and reviews appropriate policies and procedures with staff involved and make recommendations as applicable, to prevent further occurrences.
- Coordinates with the Director of Quality & Regulatory Compliance ongoing audits of vendors and contracted agencies to ensure compliance with Joint Commission standards, federal and state laws and regulations.
- Oversees and participates in the hiring, supervision, evaluation, counseling and discipline of staff.
- Establish staffing patterns with managers / department heads on an on-going basis to ensure adequate agency coverage 7 days a week / 24 hours per day for departments / teams as applicable.
- Conducts interview of qualified applicant.
- Completes job specific training to new staff assigned to the department.
- In conjunction with the Director of Quality & Regulatory Compliance assures on-going training of new and existing department members.
- Identifies and follows up on gaps in knowledge.
- Reviews periodic Human Resources reports and ensure timely completion of staff evaluation, competency, field visit, etc., in accordance with agency guidelines.
- Ensures full time equivalents available for changes in caseloads and / or vacant positions.
- In conjunction with the Director of Human Resources and / or management team member, meets with staff identified as not meeting expected level of responsibilities and / or competencies, develops plan of correction, counsel, monitor, and if necessary, termination.
- Develops, reviews and monitors with the Executive Director and Finance Director agency’s operating budget.
- Oversees and assists team leaders/department heads with cost-effective utilization of purchased services.
- Promotes and maintains teamwork/positive customer service relationships amongst employees, volunteers, vendors, referral sources, federal and state agencies etc., to ensure communication/cooperation and to educate about agency’s mission, vision and goals.
- In conjunction with the Director of Quality & Regulatory Compliance and Education Manager, as applicable, ensures ongoing educational seminars for employees, volunteers and vendors.
- Observes staff to ensure positive employee relationships.
- Attends and participates in appropriate conferences, meetings, etc., to gather information, identify trends, and maintain agency’s visibility.
- Shares responsibility for day-to-day agency operations, excluding Development and Public Relations, in the absence of Executive Director.
- Maintains open door availability; provides guidance, information and assistance to staff and others.
- Facilitates team approach by fostering group problem solving.
- Keep Executive Director, department heads, managers, advised on problems, ideas, decisions, as appropriate.
- Assists the Executive Director in high-level planning and decision making with other executive staff members.
- Researches issues, defines problem areas clearly and facilitates discussions to reach consensus on approach.
- Keeps up to date on changes, trends, etc., in the health care industry
- Oversees completion of annual program evaluation, development of annual performance improvement plan.
- Performs job functions in a fiscally responsible manner consistent with the agency’s missions and vision.
- Utilizes sound time management skills in planning day-to-day activities and fulfilling job duties.
- Demonstrates appropriate and efficient use of supplies and equipment.
- Performs related duties, as required.
About Northwell Health
Northwell Health has been named to Fortune’s 2020 “100 Best Companies to Work For®,” the only health care provider in New York State to be recognized.
At Northwell Health we aren’t satisfied with settling so we search for innovation in everything we do. We are New York’s largest private employer and leading health care provider with 23 hospitals, nearly 750 outpatient facilities, laboratories, world-class research facilities and more. Our locations span across Long Island, Manhattan, Queens, Staten Island, Westchester and beyond.
From the smallest gesture to life-changing treatment and research, our 69,000 clinical and non-clinical professionals – 16,000-plus nurses and 4,000 employed doctors, including members of Northwell Health Physician Partners – are redefining the way health care is delivered. Join us to spread your wings and grab unbelievable opportunities to redefine healthcare.
We are Northwell Health and we’re Made for this.