- Balance comfort measures and treatments for cure or control of serious disease
- Focuses on achieving the best possible quality of life through:
* Relief of suffering
* Control of symptoms
* Making the most of your ability to carry out day-to-day activities
- May start at the time of diagnosis of a serious illness and be provided throughout the course of the illness
What are the Department of Veterans Affairs’ (VA) palliative care policies?
- Palliative care is part of every enrolled Veteran’s Uniform Medical Benefits Package
- Veterans can get VA health care and benefits along with palliative care
Who provides palliative care services?
- VA facilities provide inpatient palliative care and a growing number of VA facilities can provide similar services in a VA clinic or in the home through Home-Based Primary Care (HBPC) Programs
- Limited palliative care services may be available in the community through hospice or home health agencies
What palliative care services are covered?
- Eligibility for palliative care services is determined by the payer (Medicare, Medicaid, VA or other 3rd party insurance company); availability of palliative care services may vary across the country
- Palliative care services vary depending on the payer and may include:
* Comfort care consultations and follow-up visits by interdisciplinary team members and volunteers
* Assessment and treatment plan recommendations
* Support for medical decision-making
* Visits at home, hospital, nursing home or assisted living facility
* Consultation with your physician(s)
* Telephone ‘check-in’ calls when appropriate
* Practical assistance from trained volunteers when appropriate
* Information, referrals and care coordination to access community resources
Who pays for palliative care for Veterans?
- Contact your local VA for specifics about palliative care services available in your area and potential fees, charges, or co-pays
- Medicare and Medicaid
- Private insurance companies
For more information contact:
- Your VA Primary Care Provider
- Palliative Care Consult Team at your local VA facility